Sunday 3 August 2014

The Fireman and Flash Gordon

I would like to produce a print based on Geoff Jones' story (see Moseley Stories blog Sunday 20th July) -  an image of a fireman stoking the firebox of a speeding steam engine, whilst dreaming up Flash Gordon plot lines. I have started to research some images that I could incorporate into a print.



Again I have used Eric Ravilious' war time lithographs as a source of inspiration. In 'Working Controls Whilst Submerged' and 'Diving Controls 2' he shows men working at highly technical machinery, but through the use of textured and graded tone in the background, he manages to avoid over-complicating the image with a mass of detail, so that the men become the focus.



I have produced another collage of images I want to use in the print, including a small section of a Flash Gordon comic strip in the form of a thought bubble.


No comments:

Post a Comment