Sunday 1 December 2013

Letterpress

My first attempt at producing a letterpress poster of the Edward Cadbury quote was not completely successful. The first problem was finding a suitable size and style of font that had all the letters that I required. I had to resort to a 'western style' typeface for the 'LIVING WAGE' line which made the poster look more like publicity for a John Wayne film. You will notice I also had to use a number '1' instead of a letter 'I' in the word community.


The other issue was a stray letter 'E' that appeared at the end of 'LIVING'. It seems ridiculous that I did not notice this whilst printing the poster, but I guess you see what you want to see rather than what is actually there! The good thing about this was that I had to redo the poster. This time I spent more time searching for suitable fonts and found that I could fit in a much larger letter by splitting 'LIVING' and 'WAGE' onto two lines. I had to play with the spacing of the individual letters in  'WAGE' so that the 'W' and 'A' did not appear too far apart (known as 'kerning').


I printed the fonts onto newsprint paper, as I wanted to achieve the look of a political bill poster. The press struggled with the light weight paper and it proved hard to get the pressure right. However, I think I managed to produce enough usable prints by the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment