Friday 12 August 2016

William Morris Research

I have spent the last couple of days undertaking some background research into William Morris and the Kelmscott Press. I have never visited either Kelmscott Manor or the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow - despite my mother's family coming from the area.

Kelmscott Manor sits on the banks of the Thames near Lechlade Oxfordshire and was Morris's utopia.




Taking photos inside the house was not easy as there were many visitors milling about in all the small 16th century rooms. Things of note however where the original fabric wall hangings and the simplicity of the attic rooms in particular.




I also loved the little place mats which May Morris made to help raise funds to build the Memorial Hall in the Village. Apparently she sold them for a pound each.



Kelmscott village itself is tiny, but also has many references to Morris and his family. They are all buried in the churchyard and the vilage hall was built by May Morris as a memorial to her father.




I was very impressed with the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow. One whole room was dedicated to the Kelmscott Press. I also thought this simple display very neatly demonstrated the difference between standard Victorian design and that of the Arts and Crafts movement.











Lastly I went to Kelmscott House in Hammersmith. This was Morris's London home which he named after the Oxford Manor. The William Morris Society are now based there. Although there are renovations in progress and I couldn't see the original Albion press which was used to print the Kelmscott Chaucer, there were still many interesting exhibits, including the original drawing for the Honeysuckle wallpaper designed by May Morris that I saw at Walthamstow.








I am particularly interested in the honeysuckle motif as I think it features in the plaster borders in the hallway at Winterbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment