Sunday 14 August 2016

More on the second Winterbourne Lino - 'Return from the West Indies'



 I am now making progress on the second lino. This one depicts Margaret's return from her trip to the West Indies in 1907. This is the entry in her diary-
'A very fine voyage home with bright sun and a following wind. Arrived at Southampton Monday March 4th. This was a homecoming whose pain was unspeakable. My little Robert Francis died peacefully on March 2nd. And I will not forget my husband came to meet me and to share the agony of those first moments. And when I reached home, I found my children'.

Although she doesn't mention the name of the ship, previous diary entries talk about sailing out on the SS Thames, a Royal Mail Steam Packet, two months earlier. I therefore assume she must have come back on a similar vessel.


This is an image of the Thames that I have found. It is a twin funneled masted vessel. In order to get an image of the ship from the perspective that I need, I then looked at similar vessels and found this image of the Amsterdam, which was from the angle that I needed.


My idea is to show John standing on the dock at Southampton waiting for Margaret's ship to arrive. The images that I have of John show head and shoulders views from the front as you would expect. He is faired haired and clean shaven.


I needed to find an image that I could use to show John facing out to sea. The one I decided to use was from 'Parades End'.


The clothes proved very difficult to research as men's fashions are not as well recorded as women's. However I did find this image of men's outerwear from the right period. I also needed John to stand out against the dark clouds around him, so I went for the check coat from 1906.


No comments:

Post a Comment