Wednesday 4 March 2015

New wood engraving

I've started some new wood blocks. I plan to do a series of nine based on the Moseley Dovecote Gardens. First stage was to get the lemonwood blocks from Chris Daunt. I then stained the tops with brown ink.


I use a white watercolour pencil to draw the basic design onto the block. Unlike the previous designs, I decided to cut the backgrounds away.



I am pleased with the first proof of this block - it still needs some tidying up, but I think the white background gives the image a more solidity.


1 comment:

  1. I am always in awe of the fine detail achieved by wood engraving Sarah. I remember seeing a demo by Hilary Paynter once and it looked both time consuming and taxing on the eyes. Your engraving skills are stunning and proof is very effective. Good luck with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete